The West Coast Eagles' final quarter fightback wasn't enough to overcome North Melbourne in a nine-point defeat at Optus Stadium. 

The Eagles fought their way back from a 33-point deficit in the fourth quarter and hit the front by three points late, but goals for Jy Simpkin after a holding the ball decision against Elliot Yeo and Paul Curtis wrenched the game away.  

Alastair Clarkson's team held on for their first win of the season, 11.8 (74) to 8.17 (65). 

West Coast had all the momentum before Simpkin's major snapped a run of six unanswered final-quarter goals that had brought the home crowd to life and given them a wave of energy that looked destined to deliver victory. 

The Eagles had too few consistent four-quarter performers, but Jamie Cripps tried hard with 21 disposals and a goal, Brady Hough was tireless down back and Jake Waterman lifted late to finish with three majors. 


Co-captain Liam Duggan's day was over before the final siren after a sickening head clash with debutant Jack Hutchinson, who flew for his marks and showed promise getting to some dangerous spots after a whirlwind week at the club. 

Matt Flynn kicked his first goal as an Eagle during the last quarter comeback and was locked in a tough battle with Tristan Xerri throughout the match.

Simpkin was excellent all day for the visitors but particularly late, also kicking a 50m goal to open the final quarter and finishing with 28 disposals and five clearances. 


Luke Davies-Uniacke (25) led a dominant midfield and was influential in big moments, while half-back Zac Fisher (36 and 11 rebounds), midfielder Harry Sheezel (30 and a goal) and ruckman Tristan Xerri (32 hitouts and nine clearances) were on top of their game. 

Nick Larkey kicked five-straight goals for North to be a difference-maker, especially in the third term as the Eagles went goalless and were again outpointed in clearances (9-6), with the 27-point deficit at the last change looking unassailable for a team that had kicked a wayward 2.15 to that point. 

The game flipped as key forward Waterman came to life with three final-quarter goals, but it was ultimately for nothing as the Kangaroos got the points. 

WEST COAST                       1.4   2.9   2.15   8.17 (65)
NORTH MELBOURNE       0.1   4.5   8.6   11.8 (74)  

West Coast: Waterman 3, Cripps, Darling, Flynn, Witherden, Yeo
North Melbourne: Larkey 5, Simpkin 2, Curtis, Sheezel, Stephenson, Zurhaar

West Coast: Cripps, Hough, Waterman, Duggan
North Melbourne: Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke, Larkey, Sheezel, Xerri, Wardlaw, Fisher

West Coast: Nil 
North Melbourne: Nil  

West Coast: Ryan Maric (replaced Harry Edwards in the third quarter) 
North Melbourne: Eddie Ford (replaced Wil Dawson in the second quarter)

Crowd: 43,276 at Optus Stadium