WEST Coast has suffered another injury blow with vice-captain Scott Selwood ruled out for four to six weeks with an ankle injury.
Selwood had his ankle operated on twice over the summer following a major injury suffered in the early part of 2014.
The 2012 best and fairest winner had progressed well enough from the cleanout procedure he had in December to play one WAFL practice match and one NAB Challenge clash before playing in round one against the Western Bulldogs.
But after experiencing soreness in his ankle last week he was left out of the side to face Carlton and will now miss four to six weeks as he tries to get the ankle right.
Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui told Channel Seven on Tuesday night that Selwood would be huge loss in the midfield.
"It's a pretty big blow," Naitanui said.
"He's obviously one of the leaders of the club. He does play a massive role in the midfield for us.
"To miss him for a number of weeks is going to hurt but in saying that we've got guys who can step in and fill that void. Obviously Matt Rosa on the weekend did prove that. But we've got a lot of guys who can come in and cover for Scott."
Simon Tunbridge has also been ruled out for 12 weeks with a serious ankle injury suffered during the win over Carlton.
Tunbridge limped off in the third term and was subbed out of the game. He will now spend three months on the sidelines.
Meanwhile, Xavier Ellis' recovery from a hamstring injury is taking longer than expected. Ellis suffered the injury on March 8 in the NAB Challenge clash with Port Adelaide.
He was expected to be available for round two but now may not be available to play until round four or five.